Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo
Safety Codes Officer (Permanent)
Regional Emergency Services Department
Position Type/ Hours: This is a permanent full-time position working forty (40) hours per week within the Professional Services Branch of the Regional Emergency Services Department. This a unionized position within the IAFF Local 2494 Bargaining Unit. This position is located in the community of Fort McMurray, the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo’s urban centre.
Position Description: Under general supervision, the Safety Codes Officer shall safely perform fire inspections of buildings and property for fire hazards, interpret and enforce standards and codes and bylaws governing fire safety, provide public education related to fire prevention and assist with fire investigations in the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo.
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Conducts basic fire occupancy inspections of buildings, and property.
• Assists in the preparation and maintenance of reports, records and correspondence relevant to the operation of the Fire Prevention Branch.
• Provides support to Fire Operations personnel and Regional volunteer fire departments.
• Assists with development, implementation and delivery of programs & processes related to fire inspections, fire investigations and public fire safety education.
• Assists with making recommendations for change in operating procedures, functions and responsibilities of fire prevention activities.
• Prepares and provides public fire safety education through various mediums.
• Performs such tasks necessary to support and maintain the continuity of a Regional Fire Service.
• Supports and understands the Corporate Mission, Vision and Value statements.
Qualifications: • Successful completion of a Diploma in Fire Prevention or Protection.
• Completion of NFPA 1031 Fire Inspector and Plan Examiner and NFPA 1033 Fire Investigator combined with relevant work experience.
• Valid Alberta Class Five (5) Driver’s Licence.
• Alberta Certification as a Safety Codes Officer – Fire Group A is an asset.
• Valid Standard First Aid – CPR Level C Certification is an asset.
You will possess the following:
• Must be able to clearly communicate in verbal and written forms.
• Demonstrate strong communication, interpersonal and public relations skills.
• Experience or knowledge of legal aspects of scene preservation, evidence collection and rights of entry.
• Working knowledge of the Alberta Fire Code, Alberta Safety Codes Act and related legislation and bylaws.
• Demonstrated use of basic computers skills; such as word processing and internet usage.
• Must be willing and able to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
• Work is performed in hazardous and unsanitary conditions, immunization are strongly recommended.
• Must be medically and physically fit to perform all job tasks.
• Must provide a Criminal Record with Vulnerable Sector for review and acceptance.
Salary Range: $63.02 (per hour)
*All IAFF 2494 rates are currently under review and subject to change.
In addition to the rate of pay, we offer other attractive incentives:
-an extensive employer paid benefits plan
-an additional annual payment of $12,480 which represents a cost of living allowance
Closing Date: Open until Filled
Posting Type: Internal & External (Posted: February 22, 2020)
To apply: Please visit our website at www.rmwb.ca