City of Spruce Grove
Assistant Deputy Chief
Competition number: J0120-0922
Department: Fire Services
Close Date: March 2, 2020 at 10:00pm MST
Salary Range: $140,000 - $160,258
Evenings and weekend work may be required.
The City of Spruce Grove is a fast growing, dynamic city committed to building and maintaining a fiscally responsible community that serves our residents, attracts visitors and promotes future growth. Through the actions of the Values We Live By, accountability, communication, leadership, integrity and respect are encouraged, while maintaining a work, play balance.
This position is responsible to support the Deputy Chief in managing the day to the day Fire operations. The incumbent assists the Deputy Chief in the planning, organizing, coordinating and directing of Fire Suppression, Safety Operation, Training programs, and related services and activities. He/she participates in making strategic decisions in budget management and development of the department strategic and operational plans, policies, procedures, regulations and program objectives. This position reports to the Deputy Fire Chief.
Fire Operation Management
• Provides technical and administrative assistance in respect to departmental and operational issues including the formulation and implementation of policies and procedures and budget.
• Participate in making critical strategic decisions including budget management and the development of the department's strategic and operational plans, policies, procedures, regulations and program objectives.
• Support in planning, coordination and directing the day to day operations.
• Responsible for the development, implementation and delivery of departmental training programs.
• Support the departmental leadership and ensure alignment with the City strategic and corporate plans as well as its Values.
• Delegate operation authority as required and supervise where appropriate to ensure high quality service is achieved and maintained.
• Ensure training is well-planned and contributes to the development and maintenance of competencies.
• Ensure compliance with applicable legislations and regulations.
• Develop Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for Fire Services
• Remain current on bylaws, provincial legislation and court rulings impacting Protective Services.
• Post-Secondary Degree or Diploma in Fire Administration, Public Administration, Business Management or Adult Education or equivalent.
• Minimum of ten (10) years of related experience including a minimum of five (5) years of practical experience as a fire fighter.
• Safety Codes Officer is preferred
• NFPA 1021 Level IV is preferred
• Experience in adult learning principles and designing adult education learning modules is preferred.
• Experience working in a public-sector environment with unionized and non-unionized employees considered an asset.
• Valid Alberta Class Five (5) driver’s licence is required.
• Demonstrated expert knowledge of modern firefighting and fire prevention methods, incident command systems, apparatus & equipment and the demonstrated knowledge and ability to interpret legislation and regulations.
The Assistant Deputy Fire Chief must possess:
• Strong leadership ability, demonstrated sound work ethic, maintain flexibility and conduct oneself with consistency and fairness.
• The ability to develop, organize & successfully deliver training programs;
• The ability to prepare reports and develop long-range plans and programs;
• Sound knowledge of Acts, Regulations and standards;
• Professional communication skills and ability to deal effectively with people in difficult situations.
• Highly developed analytical, critical thinking, verbal, and written communication skills.
• The ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with managers, employees, external contacts, and residents and visitors of Spruce Grove
• Act in a manner that builds trust, credibility, and rapport.
• The ability to empower people, use innovative approaches in situations involving rapid change, shifting priorities, and/or simultaneous demands.
• High emotional intelligence, including the ability to deal with people sensitively, tactfully, diplomatically, and professionally at all times.
• The capacity to work as a self-starter with minimal supervision and direction.
Visit our website at www.sprucegrove.org for more information and to apply online.