City of Vernon
CAREER FIRE FIGHTER
Up to two (2) positions
Competition #: 23-COV-20
Closing Date: February 26, 2020
Rate of Pay: (as per IAFF – Local 1517 Collective Agreement)
Notes: Selected candidates:
• Will be asked to provide proof of successful completion of a recent Candidate Physical Abilities Test (CPAT), or equivalent.
• Must be prepared to undergo comprehensive medical testing as per the NFPA 1582 guidelines.
Reporting to the Deputy Chief Operations this position performs fire-fighting, rescue, first medical response, hazardous materials response, fire prevention and education, maintenance, and operation of fire and rescue equipment and facilities.
• Responds to emergencies and performs fire-fighting, rescue, hazardous materials response, and first medical response activities as part of a team.
• Assists in the cleaning and maintenance of fire and rescue equipment and facilities.
• Participates in training and professional development activities.
• Provides fire safety inspections and fire prevention activities.
• May lead small teams in the completion of tasks and/or training.
• Provides fire and rescue services, public education, and participates in public relations activities.
• Participates in committee work to provide programs for maintenance and long term asset management.
• Works collaboratively in a team environment with career and auxiliary fire fighters, Emergency Social Services, City of Vernon Public Works, Ambulance, Police, non-government organizations and other agencies in the course of duty.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing essential services during a declared local state of emergency such as flooding, or earthquake. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
• Post-secondary education in a field(s) that provides for excellent comprehension, writing and computer proficiency, administrative and organizational abilities, and increased learning capacity.
• NFPA 1001 Fire Fighter Level II, IFSAC or ProBoard accredited certificate.
• NFPA 1002 General Requirements and Apparatus Equipped with Fire Pump, IFSAC or ProBoard accredited certificate.
• Fire service experience such as that obtained through career or volunteer, military, wildland, or industrial fire suppression.
• Current certification/qualification in one of the following:
o First Medical Responder Level III,
o Occupational First Aid Level III,
o St. John’s Advanced First Aid,
o Red Cross Advanced First Aid,
o Paramedic, or
• Valid BC Driver's Licence, Class 3 with air brake endorsement or another provinces’ equivalent.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Demonstrated ability to adapt to changing work conditions.
• High energy team player with excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• Exceptional ability to solve problems.
• Good time management and organizational abilities.
• Proven ability to communicate respectfully and effectively during stressful situations.
• Ability to learn and apply modern leadership and supervisory techniques and approaches.
• Ability to effectively manage exposure to disturbing stimuli such as, injured persons, fatalities, loud noises, and circumstances beyond one’s control.
• Possesses a service oriented perspective and participates in volunteer and community service activities.
• Proficient in computer and related software including but not limited to the Microsoft Office Suite and general office equipment.
• Acceptable level of physical abilities required to perform the duties of the role.
• Ability to obtain and maintain an acceptable RCMP Vulnerable Sector Check.
Preferred Education and Experience:
• Auto Extrication certification.
• Confined Space Rescue Operations or Technician certification.
• Hazardous Materials Technician certification.
• Swift Water and Ice Rescue certification.
• Emergency Vehicle Operations certificate.
• High Angle Rescue certification.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of Vernon, using one of the following methods:
• Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
• By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the on-line Application for Internal Posting form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!