Rocky View County
District Fire Chief
Job Number: # J1119
Job Type: Permanent Full-Time
Location: Rocky View County, Alberta
Number of Positions: 1
The 40,000 people who call Rocky View County home live in a diverse blend of rural, hamlet, and country residential communities on one million acres to the west, north, and east of Calgary. Our dedicated employees work with a variety of stakeholders to develop innovative and unique solutions for our complex municipality. To continue to enhance the quality of life in our communities, we seek individuals who thrive on challenges, who provide excellent customer service in a fast-paced environment, and whose positive energy enables the County to grow and prosper.
Rocky View County Fire Services is a composite fire service consisting of full time, volunteers and part-time employees. This staffing model meets the needs of the County and reflects the commitment of both the County and that of its various communities and residents. This commitment to a composite model is unwavering and must be understood and embraced by all Fire personnel.
Reporting to the Deputy Chief, the District Fire Chief is responsible for overseeing daily operational activities, response procedures and fire services provided to Rocky View County residents. The incumbent provides leadership and guidance to Rocky View County Fire Services personnel regarding employee issues and supports the provision of fire suppression, medical assist services, training and fire prevention. They are responsible for proper application and ensuring compliance of provincial and municipal statutes, including Alberta Safety Codes, Alberta Fire Code, and Alberta Building Code and explosives act (as referenced by fire code).
• Oversee operational area with an emphasis on efficiency, accuracy, quality and safety to ensure a superior level of customer service.
• Direct and assist full time Fire Captains and Volunteer Station Fire Chiefs in the identification of fire station & operational needs.
• Provide leadership, guidance and mentoring to Fire Captains and Volunteer Station Fire Chiefs.
• Set priorities and workflow within given portfolios, providing subordinates with achievable goals and resources.
• Team building within and between fire stations; and between the stations and headquarters.
• Point of contact for any resident’s concerns or questions regarding Fire Service’s response.
• Act in rotation as on call duty officer.
• Participate in personnel management, provide input on personnel requirements, employee performance feedback, and input on performance reviews.
• Provide regular technical guidance, coaching and mentoring.
• Resolve issues expeditiously, and ensure that employee resources are in place and utilized effectively to meet the service delivery standards of the County.
• Coordinate fire service personnel in assisting residents in Rocky View County with questions relating to fire code issues.
• Ensure regular maintenance and necessary repairs on all apparatus, equipment, gear or structures are completed in a timely manner, by appropriate and certified personnel and maintain maintenance records.
• Review and issue Rocky View County fire burn and fireworks permits.
• Represent Rocky View County Fire Services on Corporate and departmental committees as assigned.
• Demonstrate an ongoing commitment to lifelong learning in the areas of equipment, tools, apparatus, fire suppression, management, procedures and personal development.
• Lead by example, by providing superior customer service as well as following and promoting industry best practices and County values and objectives.
• Adhere to Health and Safety Legislation and Rocky View safe work policies and procedures at all times, ensuring the protection and safety of self, co-workers, the public and environment.
• Perform other administrative duties and special projects as assigned.
Training and Volunteer Coordination Portfolio
• Coordination of Department training programs at all RVC stations.
• To promote and coordinate the Rocky View County Paid-Per-Call (Volunteer) program, building a positive team atmosphere.
• Promote on-going communications with Paid-Per-Call (Volunteer) Firefighters and internal and external stakeholders engaged with the organization.
• Coordination of Firefighter recruit training programs.
• Working with Station Chiefs to coordinate Paid-Per-Call (Volunteer) recruitment.
A minimum 6-10 years of progressively responsible and diversified leadership experience within a Fire Service supported by technical training in all of the various areas.
• NFPA 1001 Level 2, NFPA 1021 Level 2, NFPA 1041 Level 1, and SCO Level B2 (C2 preferred)
• Driver License Class 3Q
• Demonstrated leadership skills, team building, conflict resolution, business/technical writing skills, coaching and mentoring abilities in addition to time management, organizational, problem solving and decision making ability.
• Well-developed communication and interpretation skills, with the ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
• Knowledge of local, provincial, and national codes, bylaws and laws relating to fire prevention and principles administration.
• Able to maintain self-discipline and professionalism at all times.
• Clean Criminal Record.
• Possess the physical agility and stamina sufficient to perform all functions of this position in extremely adverse conditions.
• Possess the ability to lift heavy equipment /loads as needed (May be expected to carry equipment weighing 20 to 40 lbs up stairs while wearing protective gear weighing at least 50 lbs or to carry or rescue-drag individuals weighing over 200 lbs).
• Possess adequate vision, hearing, mobility and dexterity to perform routine and non-routine firefighting tasks.
• Demonstrate knowledge and experience of basic computer functions (including MS Office Suite) as well as basic keyboarding skills.
• Demonstrate superior customer service skills to both internal and external customers.
Interested applicants are invited to apply direct to www.rockyview.jobs
Applications are due by 10 pm MST on the closing date.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however
only those selected for interviews will be contacted.