Town of St. Paul
Full-Time Deputy Fire Chief
Reporting to the Town of St. Paul Fire Chief, and in consultation with the County of St. Paul Director of Community Services, this position is responsible to assist the Fire Chiefs to plan, coordinate and deliver the firefighter training program, including all functions associated with maintaining records and personnel training files for the Town of St. Paul, Town of Elk Point, Mallaig and Ashmont Fire Departments.
Core Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist with management, supervision and command of emergency incidents, including operational readiness of the department and equipment for the St. Paul Fire Department.
- Plan, design and deliver fire training courses and programs that are necessary to meet the needs of firefighters for the Towns of St. Paul and Elk Point and County of St. Paul Fire Departments.
- Assist with the coordination of training nights for Fire Departments and attend each department training night as required.
- Maintain the training grounds/facility in a good state of repair and readiness.
- Assist with recruitment, retention, training and evaluation of firefighters in all four departments.
- Coordinate with regional training partners regarding opportunities for training of firefighters.
- Develop and maintain a pool of qualified instructors to assist with regional training and the delivery of formal training courses.
- Standardize the reporting for all departments.
- Ensure fire vehicles have CVIP’s completed as per schedules.
- Assist with Capital and Operational Budgeting for all four Fire Departments.
- If requested, fill in for Fire Chief and/or Deputy Chief in Ashmont, Mallaig and Elk Point Fire Departments.
- Cover for the St. Paul Fire Chief in his absence.
- Prepare administrative and operational reports, records and correspondence.
- Recommend policies and programs to the Fire Chiefs on matters affecting Fire Services, and implement those that are approved by Council.
- Assist in fire cause investigations and fire safety inspections identified in the Quality Management Plans for the Town of St. Paul, Town of Elk Point and County of St. Paul.
- Assist with fire prevention/education programs, fire department promotions and hall tours for all four fire departments.
- Assist with minor repairs and maintenance of equipment and apparatus.
- Assist with the development of response protocols and comprehensive pre-plans for “at risk” buildings in the Town of St. Paul, Town of Elk Point and County of St. Paul.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the St. Paul Fire Chief and/or County of St. Paul Director of Community Services.
- NFPA Standard for Firefighter Professional Qualification, NFPA 1001 Level 2.
- NFPA 1041 Fire Service Instructor Level 2.
- Registered and certified as a Fire Service Evaluator by the Office of the Fire Commissioner.
- Certified as a Basic (Fire) Safety Codes Officer.
- Class 3 driver’s licence with air brake endorsement.
- Preference will be given to those candidates that would have significant experience in the Fire Services field, also with a minimum 5 years of experience in a supervisory role.
- Good people skills, formalized training in supervisory development and public relations.
Experience in working with volunteer fire departments with a solid background in the planning, coordination and delivery of training programs.
The salary range for this position is $66,658 to $86,878 and includes participation in an excellent benefits/pension plan.
Hours of Work:
Monday to Friday 8:30 am – 4:30 pm
However, due to the nature of working with Volunteer Departments, some evening work will be required where the successful applicant will be able to flex time.
Applications, including a resume, cover letter and references to be submitted via email (Word Format).
Trevor Kotowich, Director of Protective Services/Fire Chief
Applications will be accepted until June 15, 2018 4:00 PM.
Preference will be given to those applicants willing to relocate to St. Paul or be in close proximity to the St. Paul Fire Hall.
The Town of St. Paul thanks all applicants for their interest. Only those selected applicants will be contacted for further information and follow-up.