County of Grande Prairie - Regional Fire Services department
Salary: $113,057 – $144,758 annually plus an excellent benefits package
Hours: 08:30 – 16:30; Additional hours as required including on-call duties
Position type: Management
Close date: April 27, 2018 at 08:30 hours
The Fire Chief assumes overall responsibility and leadership for the effective and efficient operations of our composite Fire Service. The Fire Chief is responsible for planning, organizing, directing and evaluating the firefighting operations and fire prevention activites of the County of Grande Prairie’s Regional Fire Service. The Fire Chief leads this service comprised of 18 full-time firefighters and approximately 50 part-time firefighters represented by IAFF, as well as approximately 80 volunteers firefighters in 3 volunteer halls and several contract stations. The Fire Service serves a response area of approximately 5500 sq kms with an operating budget of $6.5M.
At a minimum, successful candidates will have:
• Certificates in Fire Science, Fire Management and Leadership; Certified post-secondary education at a recognized educational institute (minimum 2-year diploma) in the areas of administrative leadership, human resources management and/or other related areas. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered;
• Experience of a progressively responsible, management nature in firefighting and emergency response;
• Experience supervising, mentoring and coaching staff while building organizational culture which values and respects all staff;
• Valid drivers’ license and satisfactory driver’s abstract;
• Fire Certificates including Officer, Investigator and Command qualifications;
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with demonstrated report writing and public speaking abilities, considerable skill and ability in computer programs and operations;
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills with a commitment to team work and customer service;
• Experience participating in labour negotiations and ensuring compliance with agreements;
• Must model good health and wellness practices;
• Ability to keep financial records and prepare reports;
• High degree of accuracy;
• A commitment to positive community relationships and a professional profile.
For additional information please visit www.countygp.ab.ca to view the current job description.
Interested applicants are requested to send their resume and covering letter, prior to the close date above, to: