Deputy Fire Chief
Regional Fire Services
Clearwater County is looking for an experienced Deputy Fire Chief who has the leadership, communication and administrative skills to ensure our Regional Fire Services sustains a dedicated and trained paid on call membership. This position includes a combination of administrative & Operational roles & responsibilities.
Summary of Key Responsibilities:
• Assume management and leadership responsibility for assigned services and activities of fire services including all fire suppression, fire prevention, code enforcement, emergency medical services, and related functions and activities.
• Manage and participate in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, and priorities for assigned programs; recommend and administer policies and procedures.
• Assist in planning, directing, coordinating, and reviewing the work plan for fire services assessing work activities, projects, programs and staffing requirements.
• Oversee and participate in the development and administration of the Department’s annual budget; participate in the forecast of funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies; monitor and approve expenditures; implement adjustments.
• Ensure equipment, safety clothing, apparatus and supplies are purchased, received and distributed in an effective manner and consistent with County policy.
• Conducts equipment and materials review for safety and recommends purchase of new equipment as needed.
• Contributes to a positive team culture by meeting with fire officer staff, assisting with local station recruitment activities, engaging in speaking events at schools, community groups and events.
• Serve as an effective liaison and builds work relationships with departments and outside agencies ensuring open lines of communication and cooperation.
• Assists in the County’s overall emergency management program.
• Responds to emergencies and takes the lead in debrief sessions and analysis.
Due to the requirement to respond to emergency calls, the successful person hired must be willing to live within Clearwater County. This position works 40 hours/week, generally Monday to Friday. It is also expected that the successful incumbent be available for on-call duties and work a flexible schedule. This position is a management position at the County and therefore receives an additional weeks’ annual vacation leave above the 3 weeks’ annual allotment.
• Preferred: a bachelor’s degree in public administration; or fire administration; or an equivalent combination of education and relevant work experience.
• A minimum of 3-5 years of experience at a Captain; or equivalent officer level.
• Previous supervisory and management experience.
• Inspector/Investigator – Basic Fire Safety Codes Officer.
• Certified in the areas of Fire Prevention, Fire Protection and Fire Suppression.
• Emergency Medical Responder Training [Asset].
• Blue Card Incident Commander.
• ICS 300.
• Must meet the physical demands required to safely and efficiently perform the duties as required.
• Demonstrate a strong level of leadership, communication and work relationship skills.
• High level of computer literacy.
• Clean Drivers’ Abstract [Class 3 with Air Brake preferred].
• Clean Criminal Record check including Vulnerable Sector.
In addition to a cover letter and resume including credentials,
please identify 3 references and your hiring salary requirements.
Emailed submissions are preferred and may be sent to:
Although we thank all applicants in advance for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted, which is anticipated to occur after the closing date.