Director Emergency Services and Fire Chief
Strathcona County is seeking qualified and interested applicants to fill the role of Director Emergency Services and Fire Chief.
Set in the centre of Alberta’s energy and agricultural heartland, Strathcona County is a thriving, successful and vibrant community of more than 98,000 residents. Strathcona County is made up of the urban area of Sherwood Park and a large adjacent rural area of farms, acreages and smaller hamlets. With a focus on social, environmental and economic sustainability, Strathcona County is committed to balancing the unique needs of its diverse community.
Although referred to as a County, the region is classified as a “specialized municipality” by the Government of Alberta. To learn more, visit: www.strathcona.ca
The Director Emergency Services has primary responsibility for leading, managing and directing the Emergency Services department to support Strathcona County’s Vision and Strategic and Corporate Business Plans, and its commitment to excellence in municipal government and customer service. As a member of the Senior Leadership Team, this senior leadership role establishes strategic direction and alignment with the organization. The Director advises, influences, and informs the Associate Commissioner, Executive Team, and Council of the operations, affairs and direction of the department. This role guides the department in a collaborative environment with respect to organizational capacity and providing excellence in programs to support the organization in its Strategic and Corporate Business plans.
Strathcona County Emergency Services is an integrated fire EMS department, requiring significant knowledge of both fire and EMS systems. Knowledge of industrial risk mitigation processes in all phases from planning to response is critical. SCES provides emergency communications/911 services to many municipalities, requiring knowledge of emergency communications and dispatch systems. Within the department, the Fire Chief works in partnership with Deputy/Assistant Chiefs as well as Union Executive. This role guides the department in a collaborative environment and ensures the culture and values of the department are in alignment with the culture and values of Strathcona County.
Qualifications & Experience
• Extensive knowledge of the theories, principles, and administration of Emergency Services Department management, including the political and policy factors that influence the County’s Emergency Services programs and their development.
• Considerable breadth and in-depth knowledge of financial management, planning and reporting processes, business planning and fiscal frameworks, and best practices in Emergency Services and Emergency Management.
• Strong leadership skills including the ability to collectively create a vision of the future, provide motivational direction to obtain clearly defined goals, influence, persuade, and garner commitment; develop and mentor others to be leaders; create, support, and lead by example to build a high-performance team and a positive work environment.
• Demonstrated ability to execute strategy and develop and implement new programs, procedures, services, and policies that address emerging needs, expectations, and operational priorities.
• Strong political and organizational savvy and business acumen. Ability to respond under pressure to changing political and operational situations.
• Extensive knowledge of the principles and policies for municipal government administration and operations.
For a copy of the in-depth job description, please visit our website at www.daviespark.com