The new editions of these bestselling IFSTA fire apparatus driver/operator training materials mark a new approach to training driver/operators. Previously, IFSTA published two separate manuals with student and instructor support materials: Pumping Apparatus Driver/Operator Handbook and Aerial Apparatus Driver/Operator Handbook. Fire departments with both types of apparatus needed two manuals, two curriculum and driver/operator trainees needed two exam preps to study for tests.
The release of the 3rd edition of these manuals streamlines the IFSTA training resources. The Pumping Apparatus Driver/Operator Handbook, 3rd Edition covers pumping apparatus only, the second book in the pair, Pumping and Aerial Apparatus Driver/Operator Handbook, 3rd Edition contains the same 15 chapters as the pumping apparatus textbook, plus an additional 5 chapters relevant to aerial apparatus. Personnel on departments that operate both types of apparatus now only need one manual and one curriculum for training. Students only need one exam prep to prepare for testing. If a fire department does not use aerial apparatus, they use the Pumping Apparatus Driver/Operator Handbook, 3rd Edition and omit the aerial sections of the curriculum and exam prep which include all 20 chapters.
Chapters 2 and 3 are especially beneficial for all driver/operators: Inspection and Maintenance and Safety and Operating Emergency Vehicles.
Pumping Apparatus Driver/Operator handbook, 3rd edition
- Skill Sheets now included
- Key Terms added
- Aerial apparatus safety emphasizes the most common risks based on actual incidents including: stabilizing equipment before raising the aerial device, wearing fall protection, and avoiding power lines
- Hydraulic calculations presented in a logical sequence making teaching and learning easier
- Strategy and tactics include assessing rescue priorities specifically for aerial placement and deployment
- Chapters address proper stabilization; positioning; and operation of telescoping and articulating aerial devices