by Walt "Butch" Hendrick and Andrea Zaferes, Lifeguard Systems, Inc.
This book provides practical, up-to-date information on training, team management, equipment, and techniques for ice rescue teams.
- No ice is safe ice
- Preplanning the surface ice rescue response
- The three levels of training
- Who responds to ice rescue incidents?
- Managing an operation
- Surface ice rescue equipment
- Awareness-level duties and responses
- Operational-level duties and responses
- Technical-level duties and responsibilities
- Communication and line tending
- Special ice rescue situations
- Ice formation and types
- Cold stress and hypothermia
- The four processes of heat loss
- Heat and fluid loss
- How repeated exposure to cold affects us
- Cold stress, immersion, and fluid loss
- Chillblains, frostnip, frostbite, and freezing
- References and additional reading
- Answers to study questions