Firefighting is combat and should be viewed as a warrior’s calling. Firefighters put themselves in harm’s way to protect others, a selflessness rooted in the same noble drive as the military warriors who defend our nation. This book about combat is meant to be a guide for those who seek to follow a warrior’s path, the path of the fire service warrior.
Today’s firefighter must be a warrior who will unflinchingly put his very life in harm’s way to accomplish a mission, but who is also fully informed about the path being chosen. Embracing the philosophy of the fire service warrior, and striving for the ready position—the synthesis of physical and mental readiness that allows for optimum fireground performance—can reduce firefighter injuries and fatalities.
The Combat Position: Achieving Firefighter Readiness will be an invaluable tool for firefighters, company officers, chief officers, and instructors.
- Introduction – A combat position
- The mission, virtues, and values of a fire service warrior
- You want me to do what?
- The foundation : physical and mental preparation
- The fundamentals: tactics, techniques, and guidelines
- Fireground tactical decision making
- Making the turn
- Appendix A: The fire service warrior’s reading list
- About the author
281 Pages/Hardcover/6x9/March 2011